However, because there is no GUI, management of this installation demands a great deal of experience from user, involving the use of RSAT or Virtual Machine Manager. VMM is expensive and RSAT doesn't let the administrator to manage some versions of Hyper-V Server from the older OSes. These issues might prevent administrators from deploying Server Core on their servers, despite lower costs and other benefits.
VT Technology Management Utilities for Hyper-V remove the need for RSAT and VMM. More importantly, there is no steep learning curve for using vtUtilities to manage Server Core. This step-by-step guide will help you with setting up your environment from the scratch and outline using vtUtilities on Server Core or free Hyper-V Server.
vtUtilities can be installed locally on a Hyper-V host and deliver GUI with functionality level similar to Microsoft Hyper-V Manager.
With vtUtilities you can start/stop/create/interact and see the state of the virtual machines, change and read VMs settings, see host and guests performance data, configure virtual networks/virtual hard disks and much more...
Advantages of the vtUtilities
- Local GUI to manage Hyper-V on Server Core and free Hyper-V Server.
- GUI for replication, live migrations, VHDX, virtual Fibre Channel adapters, file system views and operations.
- GUI allowing connecting to the VM console
- GUI for virtual network management including the management of virtual connections and bindings.
- Support for Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2012, Windows Server 2012 R2 as well as Hyper-V Server 2008 R2, Hyper-V Server 2012 and Hyper-V Server 2012 R2.
- Local and remote management of Hyper-V Server 2012 and Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 from Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
- Local and remote management of all past Hyper-V versions from a single application.
- Easy access to Hyper-V event logs and VM jobs history.
- Real time monitoring of Hyper-V host and guests.
Support for new functionality introduced in Hyper-V Server 2012 R2
- Generation 2 virtual machines.
- Virtual hard disk and storage quality of service.
- Hyper-V Replica enhancements including support for extended replication.
- Hyper-V virtual networking enhancements.
Post a Comment